Jockeying among the three other major health insurers—UnitedHealth, Anthem and Cigna—played into the dynamics of Aetna’s $34.1 billion deal to acquire Humana. All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://www.wsj.com/xml/rss/3_7014.xml
The Orlando Magic have a lot of young, promising pieces on the roster, and they have to make a number of critical, tough decisions as they try to evolve into an Eastern Conference contender.
On Friday, Orlando elected to reward forward Tobias Harris with a four-year contract worth $64 million, per RealGM’s Shams Charania. NBA.com’s David Aldridge added that the deal would include no player, team or early termination options.
Harris started off his career with the Milwaukee Bucks before arriving in Orlando in his second season. The University of Tennessee product was one of six players involved in a trade centered around former Magic guard J.J. Redick.
The move has panned out rather nicely for the Magic, especially in light of their effort to secure Harris for the long haul.
Basketball Insiders’ Steve Kyler felt Orlando would have been unwise to allow Harris to walk away as a restricted free agent:
Harris has excelled as a prominent part of the Magic’s rotation, showing an ability to score the ball well in averaging 17.1 points per game in 68 games this past season. The 22-year-old’s range extended to the three-point line with more consistency too, as he shot 36.4 percent from deep.
“For us, consistency is the biggest key,” said Harris in May, per Fox Sports Florida’s Ken Hornack. “We have to be mentally strong in games. We lost a lot of games in the fourth quarter that we should have won, where we were up in the fourth quarter. That has a lot to do with focus and being able to grind out wins.”
Harris now figures to be a franchise cornerstone along with Victor Oladipo and Nikola Vucevic. It remains to be seen what the Magic have in point guard Elfrid Payton, rookie shooting guard Mario Hezonja and athletic forward Aaron Gordon.
The timetable for Orlando to begin its ascent in the East is difficult to determine. With so many inexperienced contributors playing big minutes, chemistry and coaching from new boss Scott Skiles will be big determining factors.
Those elements will also go a long way in deciding whether it was a wise move for Harris and the Magic to stay together.
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Friday said New York State “remains a top target for terrorists” and urged residents to be on alert this holiday weekend amid recent terror attacks overseas and threats from ISIS and ISIS sympathizers.
His announcement came as police departments across the Tri-State Area were stepping up security for the holiday weekend – particularly for the Macy’s fireworks display on the East River Saturday.
Cuomo said Friday that he has ordered enhanced monitoring of Fourth of July celebrations by the Office of Emergency Management after the federal government issued a terror warning for the holiday weekend.
“In response to the warning by the federal government, New York State is taking steps to increase monitoring and communication with our local, state, and federal emergency management and law enforcement partners through the holiday weekend,” Cuomo said in a statement.
Cuomo Increases Fourth Of July Security, Says NY Is 'Top Target For Terrorists'
Though there have been no reports of specific threats, the terror attacks in Kuwait, France and Tunisia last week, a wave of attacks in Egypt on Wednesday and the demand by ISIS for attacks against the enemy during Ramadan, which ends July 17, have prompted extra caution, CBS2’s Matt Kozar reported.
“ISIS is very well outspoken about how much they hate our freedom — who we are as Americans — and July the 4th is one of those natural dates, while we’re celebrating freedom, for them to be able to find some way to be able to poke us in the eye,” said U.S. Sen. James Lankford (R-Oklahoma).
While officials said there are no credible threats, they have not taken any chances. The FBI has issued a warning to authorities nationwide about a possible terrorist attack.
“The intelligence community can’t fight this fight by themselves,” said former FBI Assistant Director Ron Hosko. “This is going to take bigger participation and awareness.”
On Saturday, July 4, as many as 7,000 extra NYPD officers will be patrolling the Macy’s fireworks display on the East River, where up to 3 million spectators are expected to attend.
“If you show up at the event you’re on the team. If you see something, say something,” NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism John Miller told reporters, including WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond. We want to hear about it.”
NYPD officials say the area will be swept for explosives, trash cans will be removed, snipers will be strategically placed and 100 mobile cameras will be on the ground and in the air.
The NYPD will be closely monitoring its 7,000 security cameras, paying special attention to the ones in Lower Manhattan. The department has also deployed resources to Long Island City, Queens along the East River.
Police set up a mobile command center in Long Island City, and stationed officers throughout the area. The NYPD also set up barricades on the East River.
And on Staten Island, Harbor patrol is guarding the barges that are currently packed with fireworks, ready to launch tomorrow night.
“It’s good to know in the back of your mind that if something happens, they’re going to be there to protect you,” said Luis Okendo.
“I think NYPD does a great job of taking care of everyone here in the city, so we’ve got have faith in them,” added Jon Venick of Long Island City.
Precautions also have been taken on the water. A New Jersey State Police patrol boat will be out over the weekend, with officers watching for anything out of the ordinary.
“Our plan is to be, just heightened awareness to be out here looking for anything suspicious, suspicious boat traffic,” said Sgt. Jorge Puhlovsky with New Jersey State Police.
Many residents are not allowing any threat to deter their plans.
“I think the NYPD does a great job of taking care of everyone here in the city, so we have faith in them,” Long Island City resident Jon Venick told CBS2’s Janelle Burrell.
Police will be extra vigilant, but are urging spectators to be aware as well. Anyone who sees anything suspicious is asked to call 877-NYC-SAFE. You can also call the New York State Terrorism Tips Line at 1-866-SAFE-NYS.
Speaking to reporters, Styles opened up about the North American and European legs of the group’s current tour, as well as how things have been going with Zayn:
“There have been incredible shows across Europe. Some of the best we’ve had! So we’re super excited about coming to America … The only changes have been that the parts Zayn sang have been picked up by different people. Other than that, the shows have been going absolutely great.”
Sounds like the group doesn’t miss Zayn very much! As for Story Of My Life, a song which Malik had a big solo, Styles is open about re-working songs to fit the rest of the group:
“It would be pretty devastating if we took that song out. Liam [Payne] stepped up to do the high notes. He kicks them in the bollocks every show. He doesn’t hold back … The other guys have picked up [Zayn's] parts. We all know the songs well enough to do that.”
Well, at least One Direction is maintaining their pop prince status, even after dropping a member of the group so recently!
What do U think — does 1D need Zayn, or have they figured it out as a foursome?!