NYC Drivers Say Miles Of New Bike Lanes Leading To Traffic Headaches

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — If you ask drivers, many will tell you it’s become chaos in New York city because of miles and miles of bike lanes popping up in recent years.

The Department of Transportation installed more than 60 miles of dedicated cycling space last year, the most of any year to date.

“It’s impossible to drive,” one driver tells CBS2’s Emily Smith. “It makes it very difficult.”

“I don’t know how they every are going to rectify it,” another driver said.

Statistics show over the last five years, the average speed in Manhattan below 60th Street has decreased from over nine miles an hour to about eight miles an hour.

DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg addressed the issued at a recent press conference.

“I will give you stats,” Trottenberg said. “Cycling has increased dramatically in New York City. And look, there’s always in a very congested city going to be a lively debate how we allocate our street space.”

CBS2’s requests to ask the commissioner additional questions — both in person and over the phone — were declined.

The DOT’s website states that studies show a double digit increase in volume of 59 percent after implementation of the lanes, but that was information from 2014 before many more miles of cycling lanes were added.

Trottenberg also said recent data shows traffic isn’t getting worse in NYC.

“When we look at our traffic studies we see at best we keep traffic neutral, sometimes better,” she said at Tuesday’s press conference.

When pressed for specific studies showing more drivers aren’t on the roads, the DOT referred CBS2 to their website.

Drivers say they’re not convinced.

“It’s the worst ever,” Danny Quinn tells CBS2. “The city these days, it’s the worst driving around.”

A lot of street real estate has been given up on the promise that bike lanes would be heavily used. At some point,  New Yorkers would like to see the evidence that it was — and remains — a good bet.

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/feed/

“Lost lizard” rediscovered on remote Pacific island

The Varanus douarrha monitor lizard gets up to 1.3 meters (4.3 ft) in length

Scientists have recently confirmed that a unique species of monitor lizard, initially described in the early 19th century, is still alive and well on the island of New Ireland in northern Papua New Guinea. It is said to be “the only large-growing animal endemic to the island that has survived until modern times.”

.. Continue Reading “Lost lizard” rediscovered on remote Pacific island

Category: Biology

Tags:

Related Articles:

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://feeds.feedblitz.com/Gizmag

Prince William & Kate Middleton Request $1.68 Million In Damages For Those Infamous Topless Pics Of The Duchess!

Oh, they better pay up!

The Daily Mail reports that Prince William and Kate Middleton are requesting 1.3 million pounds ($1.68 million) in damages for the topless photos of Kate that were published back in 2012.

Related: Kate Releases Cute New Pic Of Princess Charlotte

The royal couple’s French lawyer Jean Veil made the request to the court on Tuesday, the first day of the trial taking place in Nanterre, France.

Six defendants are on trial, including photographers Cyril Moreau and Dominique Jacovides, but Kate and Will are requesting that the French tabloid Closer pay the entirety of the amount. They are also requesting 42K pounds (about $54K) to be paid by La Provence for similar photos printed that censored the nudity.

Though the pair were not present for the trial, Prince William did release a statement, which was read during the proceedings. It said in part:

“In September 2012, my wife and I thought that we could go to France for a few days in a secluded villa owned by a member of my family, and thus enjoy our privacy. We know France and the French and we know that they are, in principle, respectful of private life, including that of their guests. The clandestine way in which these photographs were taken was particularly shocking to us as it breached our privacy.”

Lay that smackdown, Will!

The 34-year-old further stated that he and Kate “never consented to any pictures other than official ones” and both were looking to “become King and Queen of England,” which “comes with obligations.”

When the photos were first published nearly five years ago, the royals also issued a statement slamming their publication, saying:

“The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to the Duke and Duchess for being so. Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them.”

We have a feeling their Royal Highnesses will win this one!

[Image via WENN.]

Apple CEO Tim Cook: ‘Demand Was Stronger Towards iPhone 7 Plus Than We Expected’

Apple did not expect so many people to choose the iPhone 7 Plus over the iPhone 7, according to statements made by Apple CEO Tim Cook during today’s second quarter earnings call.


“One of the things we didn’t get right was the mix between the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus,” said Cook. “Demand was much stronger towards the iPhone 7 Plus than we expected.” Apple’s misestimation of the popularity of the iPhone 7 Plus led to some shortages of the bigger-screened device during the December quarter.






Apple sold the highest number of Plus models in the first half of fiscal 2017 than ever before, higher than the iPhone 6 and 6s lineups. Cook says it took Apple a while to “bring the iPhone 7 Plus into balance,” something that occurred early in the second quarter.



According to Cook, Apple learns from its mistakes. “Every time we launch something, we learn something, and we brush up our models and apply everything we learn for next time,” he said.

Related Roundup: iPhone 7


Discuss this article in our forums

La La Anthony Is Clearly Not Ready To Answer Questions About Her Split From Carmelo!

Unfortunately for La La Anthony, people weren’t just focused on her outfit at Monday night’s Met Gala!

When asked by Extra how “everything is going” AKA how is everything going after her highly-publicized split from Carmelo Anthony, the 37-year-old was clearly ready to change the subject as fast as possible!

Watch her response (below):

Hang in there, bb!

[Image via WENN.]

15 Glutes Exercises for a Perfect Butt

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/

Police officers who shot dead Alton Sterling 'will not be charged'

Police officers who shot dead Alton Sterling 'will not be charged'Alton Sterling – in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, according to reports. Police said they were were responding to a call that someone who fit the description of Mr Sterling was illegally selling CDs and threatening people with a gun outside of a convenience store in July 2016. Bystanders’ video from the scene appeared to show two white officers on top of Mr Sterling arresting him.