Category Archives: News Gate

Search On For Suspect Who Stabbed Man In Arm At Staten Island Ferry Terminal

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police were searching Monday night for a suspect who stabbed a man in the arm in the Staten Island Ferry Terminal in Lower Manhattan over the weekend.

Police said around 5:42 a.m. Saturday, the suspect came up to the 45-year-old victim from behind and stabbed the man with an unknown object in the upper arm, causing a puncture wound.

The suspect ran off in an unknown direction, police said. The victim was not seriously injured.

The suspect was described as a black male 20 to 30 years old with a muscular build. He was last seen wearing a dark baseball cap, a black tank top and cargo shorts with dark sneakers carrying a blue shopping bag and knapsack.

Police have released surveillance video.

Anyone with information was asked to call the NYPD Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS or (888) 57-PISTA for Spanish, log onto the Crime Stoppers website, or text tips to 274637 (CRIMES) and enter TIP577.

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/feed/

Senate healthcare bill would cut insurance for 22 million Americans, CBO says

Republicans’ draft bill improves slightly on projections over next decade compared to similar legislation passed by House counterparts

Twenty-two million Americans will lose health insurance coverage over the next 10 years under the draft Senate healthcare bill, according to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

Related: ‘They’re sentencing me to death’: Medicaid recipients on the Republican healthcare plan

Continue reading… All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://feeds.theguardian.com/theguardian/world/rss

Supreme Court Agrees To Review Trump Travel Ban

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court adjourned for the summer Monday, but not before it handed a victory to President Donald Trump.

The high court announced it will review the president’s travel ban on citizens from six Muslim-majority countries, and allows the Trump administration to mostly enforce the president’s executive order while the legal battle continues.

The Supreme Court is allowing a limited version of the travel ban to go forward. The court will allow the Trump administration mostly to enforce the executive order while the legal battle continues.

“The court would only have granted this, they would only have allowed most of the travel ban to go into place if it thinks that at this point without fully briefing and argument the government is likely to succeed,” said Ilya Shapiro of the Cato Supreme Court Review.

The 90-day ban would apply to citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Those people will not be allowed to come into the United States unless they have a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States,” CBS News’ Weijia Jiang reported.

The court says close family members, workers and students will be allowed without formal documentation.

The Trump administration said the travel ban was needed during an internal review of the screening process for people of those countries.

The travel ban sparked massive protests and lawsuits, all of which the Trump administration lost until now. The court said it will hear arguments in the case in October when it reconvenes.

The White House called the ruling “a clear victory for national security.” And when Trump himself was asked how he felt about the ruling, he replied, “Very good, thank you — very good.”

But opponents said the ban is unlawful based on visitors’ Muslim religion. Gov. Andrew Cuomo was among those to speak out against the ruling, via Twitter.

Trump said last week that the ban would take effect 72 hours after being cleared by the court.

The action Monday is a victory for Trump in the biggest legal controversy of his young presidency.

The justices said Monday they will consider whether a baker who objects to same-sex marriage on religious grounds can refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. The case asks the high court to balance the religious rights of the baker against the couple’s right to equal treatment under the law. Similar disputes have popped up across the United States.

In another case, the court ruled that churches have the same right as other charitable groups to seek state money for new playground surfaces and other non-religious needs. The justices on Monday ruled 7-2 in favor of Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Missouri. The church sought a grant to put a soft surface on its preschool playground, but was denied any money even though its application was ranked fifth out of 44 submissions.

Chief Justice John Roberts said for the court that it “is odious to our Constitution” to exclude the church from the grant program. Roberts said that’s true even though the consequences are only “a few extra scraped knees.”

Meanwhile, there are rumors swirling that Justice Anthony Kennedy could announce his retirement.

The 80-year-old is considered the “swing vote” on the court. If he retires, President Trump could make an appointment that would create a conservative majority.

Kennedy turns 81 next month and has been on the court for nearly 30 years. Several of his former law clerks have said they think he is contemplating stepping down in the next year or so. Kennedy did not address the retirement rumors when he and his clerks gathered over the weekend for a reunion, according to three clerks who were there.

The decision to push up the reunion by a year helped spark talk he might be leaving the court.

Meantime Monday, it was another busy morning on Twitter for President Trump as he accused former President Barack Obama of collusion or obstruction.

On Friday, the Washington Post reported the Obama administration knew the Russian government was interfering in the election in August, but did not make it public until Oct. 7.

They also had intelligence confirming that the Russian goal was to defeat Hillary Clinton.

Former President Obama’s spokesman said the “situation was taken extremely seriously, as is evident by President Obama raising this issue directly with President Putin.”

Former Obama administration officials reportedly said they failed to act sooner because they did not want to be seen as interfering in the election, on the side of Clinton.

The Trump administration is also trying to figure out the best way to approach a potential Trump/Putin meeting when the two are in Germany next month for a summit.

Some Trump advisors believe the U.S. needs to maintain its distance from Russia especially during the investigation into Russian meddling of the presidential campaign.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/feed/

Supreme Court Agrees To Review Trump Travel Ban

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court adjourned for the summer Monday, but not before it handed a victory to President Donald Trump.

The high court announced it will review the president’s travel ban on citizens from six Muslim-majority countries, and allows the Trump administration to mostly enforce the president’s executive order while the legal battle continues.

The Supreme Court is allowing a limited version of the travel ban to go forward. The court will allow the Trump administration mostly to enforce the executive order while the legal battle continues.

“The court would only have granted this, they would only have allowed most of the travel ban to go into place if it thinks that at this point without fully briefing and argument the government is likely to succeed,” said Ilya Shapiro of the Cato Supreme Court Review.

The 90-day ban would apply to citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Those people will not be allowed to come into the United States unless they have a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States,” CBS News’ Weijia Jiang reported.

The court says close family members, workers and students will be allowed without formal documentation.

The Trump administration said the travel ban was needed during an internal review of the screening process for people of those countries.

The travel ban sparked massive protests and lawsuits, all of which the Trump administration lost until now. The court said it will hear arguments in the case in October when it reconvenes.

The White House called the ruling “a clear victory for national security.” And when Trump himself was asked how he felt about the ruling, he replied, “Very good, thank you — very good.”

But opponents said the ban is unlawful based on visitors’ Muslim religion. Gov. Andrew Cuomo was among those to speak out against the ruling, via Twitter.

Trump said last week that the ban would take effect 72 hours after being cleared by the court.

The action Monday is a victory for Trump in the biggest legal controversy of his young presidency.

The justices said Monday they will consider whether a baker who objects to same-sex marriage on religious grounds can refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. The case asks the high court to balance the religious rights of the baker against the couple’s right to equal treatment under the law. Similar disputes have popped up across the United States.

In another case, the court ruled that churches have the same right as other charitable groups to seek state money for new playground surfaces and other non-religious needs. The justices on Monday ruled 7-2 in favor of Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Missouri. The church sought a grant to put a soft surface on its preschool playground, but was denied any money even though its application was ranked fifth out of 44 submissions.

Chief Justice John Roberts said for the court that it “is odious to our Constitution” to exclude the church from the grant program. Roberts said that’s true even though the consequences are only “a few extra scraped knees.”

Meanwhile, there are rumors swirling that Justice Anthony Kennedy could announce his retirement.

The 80-year-old is considered the “swing vote” on the court. If he retires, President Trump could make an appointment that would create a conservative majority.

Kennedy turns 81 next month and has been on the court for nearly 30 years. Several of his former law clerks have said they think he is contemplating stepping down in the next year or so. Kennedy did not address the retirement rumors when he and his clerks gathered over the weekend for a reunion, according to three clerks who were there.

The decision to push up the reunion by a year helped spark talk he might be leaving the court.

Meantime Monday, it was another busy morning on Twitter for President Trump as he accused former President Barack Obama of collusion or obstruction.

On Friday, the Washington Post reported the Obama administration knew the Russian government was interfering in the election in August, but did not make it public until Oct. 7.

They also had intelligence confirming that the Russian goal was to defeat Hillary Clinton.

Former President Obama’s spokesman said the “situation was taken extremely seriously, as is evident by President Obama raising this issue directly with President Putin.”

Former Obama administration officials reportedly said they failed to act sooner because they did not want to be seen as interfering in the election, on the side of Clinton.

The Trump administration is also trying to figure out the best way to approach a potential Trump/Putin meeting when the two are in Germany next month for a summit.

Some Trump advisors believe the U.S. needs to maintain its distance from Russia especially during the investigation into Russian meddling of the presidential campaign.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/feed/

Russell, Mozgov Say They Already Like What They See In Rebuilding Nets

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — D’Angelo Russell’s first move as a Brooklyn Net was taking the high road.

The 21-year-old guard, acquired in a trade with the Lakers last week, was asked at his introductory news conference Monday about Los Angeles president Magic Johnson saying of Russell: “We want to thank him for what he did for us. But what I needed was a leader. I needed somebody also that can make the other players better and also (somebody) that players want to play with.”

Russell’s response?

“It’s good to be here,” he said. “Can’t really control that — what they say. I’m gone. So it’s the past. I’m here now. It’s irrelevant, honestly.”

In the trade, the Nets added Russell, the second overall pick in the 2015 draft, and center Timofey Mozgov. Brooklyn gave up center Brook Lopez — the franchise’s all-time leading scorer — and the 27th pick in last week’s draft, which was used on Utah forward Kyle Kuzma.

“Where we are in our life cycle and how we’re growing here, these two fit,” Nets general manager Sean Marks said of Russell and Mozgov. “They fit with what we’re trying to do here. We’re thrilled to have them. We’re excited to welcome them into our Nets family.”

Russell said the trade surprised him.

“Never really been traded before, so didn’t know what to expect,” he said. “But I’m here now. I’m beyond excited.”

D'Angelo Russell

D’Angelo Russell (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

He added that he likes what he’s hearing from coaches and players in his first days in Brooklyn.

“Everybody’s on the same page,” Russell said. “Just the camaraderie with everybody. The staff, the players — everybody’s really intact with each other. You could tell everybody’s hungry around here, really wants to get back to where they want to be.”

MORE: Lichtenstein: Nets Finally Cash In Brook Lopez Trade Chip

When asked if he was surprised that someone of Russell’s caliber became available, Marks said: “I think this is being opportunistic. Looking at what the Lakers were dealing with, we’re always in that talent-acquisition mode here, and we will be for a while. But again, adding a player, specifically D’Angelo being 21 — we could have easily drafted somebody who was a year older than D’Angelo. So the fact that we get somebody here 21 years old, can develop with (coach) Kenny (Atkinson) and our player-development coaches and our coaches, as I said many times, that’s what I’m banking on.”

Russell averaged 15.6 points and 4.8 assists per game last season.

Meanwhile, the trade reunites Mozgov with Atkinson, who was an assistant with the Knicks when the Russian center started his NBA career in 2010.

LISTEN: ‘City Game’ Podcast: Reviewing The NBA Draft

“Timmy fits perfectly. He’s a competitive player,” Atkinson said. “He’s a guy that loves to run the court. He’s a physical player. I think he rolls to the rim in the pick-and-roll, which we love. But really at the end of the day, I love the person. I was around him, obviously with the Knicks. Loved being around him, loved being around his family. So he fits a culture we’re trying to build and (is) a competitive, high-character guy.”

Timofey Mozgov

The Lakers’ Timofey Mozgov tries to keep the ball away from the Charlotte Hornets during a game on Dec. 20, 2016, at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)

Mozgov, too, said he’s excited about joining the Nets.

“It’s like a big family to me, like already, being here like two days,” he said. “I love it already. Just looking forward to being a part of it.”

Mozgov played in 54 games last season (52 starts) and averaged 7.9 points and 4.9 rebounds. In 2016, he was a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ world championship team.

“Timmy’s seen it all,” Atkinson said. “He’s seen organizations in different phases. So the fact that he was around a group that won a championship is so important, and (he) played an important role in that.”

Both Marks and Atkinson made a point to pay tribute to Lopez during the news conference.

“He was a joy to coach,” Atkinson said. “I loved being around him. He’s an all-time Net. Again, I thought he had a great season.”

Report: McDaniels Option Declined

The Nets plans to decline the team option for guard K.J. McDaniels, The Vertical reported.

Brooklyn acquired McDaniels in a trade with the Rockets in February. He came off the bench in 20 games, averaging 14.7 minutes, 6.3 points, 2.6 rebounds and 0.5 assists.

The Nets would have had to pay McDaniels nearly $3.5 million next season if they had picked up the option.

All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/feed/

‘Political murder': anger after terminally ill Chinese Nobel laureate released from prison

Human rights groups and fellow dissidents react after Liu Xiaobo is transferred to hospital with late-stage liver cancer

China’s dissident community has expressed anger, shock and sadness that the country’s best-known political prisoner – the democracy activist and Nobel peace prize winner Liu Xiaobo – has been transferred to hospital after being diagnosed with terminal liver cancer.

Liu, 61, had been serving an 11-year prison sentence for inciting subversion of state power. His lawyer, Mo Shaoping, who has been in contact with Liu’s family, said he was now in the late stages of disease. Another of Liu’s lawyers, Shang Baojun, said he had been diagnosed on 23 May.

Continue reading… All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://feeds.theguardian.com/theguardian/world/rss

Rhino horn auction to go ahead in South Africa after court lifts ban on sales

Breeder John Hume to take advantage of court ruling lift ban on domestic trade to sell horns trimmed from the 1,500 rhinos on his ranch

A rhino breeder in South Africa is planning an online auction of rhino horns to capitalise on a court ruling that opened the way to domestic trade despite an international ban imposed to curb poaching.

The sale of rhino horns by breeder John Hume, to be held in August, will be used to “further fund the breeding and protection of rhinos”, according to an auction website.

Continue reading… All images and written content is property of the listed RSS FEED if you would like more on this story and images please click the listed feed. http://feeds.theguardian.com/theguardian/world/rss